Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:53 pm 

The following quote was made by a friend in another forum. Following the quote is my response to him interpreting the Muslim Hajj from a slightly Kuhnian perspective. I seriously am concerned about the steady slide by all three of the “scriptural religions” towards an absolutist literalism in the interpretation of their sacred writings. Until they can be viewed symbolically, as originally expressed, religion will be the cause of much human suffering (though I doubt modern human secularism is much better as it fails to see the value in religion and for some reason protects the religion which despise it [Islam] and despises that religion, Christianity, which harbors it). I hope what I wrote makes some sense, but please forgive any oversights as I threw it together in only a couple hours or so. I hope at some point in the future someone makes a more serious inquest into the astrotheological and symbolical aspects of Islam.

~Michael~

Quote:
“I suspect that very few of them [Muslims] dare to think anything through. To stone the devil every year, must he not first be resurrected every year? It's a subtle form of devil worship, to accord him such prominence. The same phenomenon can be witnessed among fundamentalist Christians, too. Some sects live in perpetual fear of demonic manipulation. Ultimately, they are more ‘conscious’ of their devil than they are of their God. Being ruled by fear, it seems that they are the indeed the children of their father.”

The only madness or backwardness that I see in the ritual of the Hajj is the failure for its participants to see beyond the ritual duty of its performance. The ritual is highly symbolic on numerous levels, and only when seen in such light does it at all make sense.

The Hajj occurs during the last month of the lunar year, starting on its “seventh” day. The Islamic lunar calendar is astrologically meaningful, but due to the 32.5 year cycle of the calendar the holy period fails to consistently maintain consonance with the solar calendar upon which it appears to be originally based (the lunar calendar having its basis in the solar). The Hajj is tied to the Winter Solstice while the other holy period of Ramadan is connected to the Fall Equinox.

There are leap years throughout the lunar year cycle which bring the holy periods somewhat back into line with the solar calendar and the solstice and equinox upon which they coincide. Ramadan falls in line with Yom Kippur of the Jewish tradition which coincides with the Fall Equinox. Both of these traditions rely highly on both the moon and the sun as well as sunrise and sunset and these make no sense as revelation from God if they mean nothing.

They do mean something of course, but what that something is is unknown to the simple practitioner. Certainly monotheism has an anti-astrology position in its present form, and this is no doubt why these traditions overlook the astrological aspects. But why would God, should God be anti-astrology (and therefore anti-astrological), have so many religious holy dates and periods reflect obvious astrological aspects if they meant nothing?

Other features of the Hajj which show its meaningful symbolic depth include the wearing of two “white” and “seamless” shrouds (purity and wholeness), abstinence from sex (overcoming physical desires), not cutting the hair or nails (overcoming vanity), circling the Kaaba “seven” times (numerical symbology), touching or kissing the Kaaba (transference of power through touching sacred objects), the sevenfold crossing back and forth between two hills (polarity), stopping on a hill in the Valley of Arafat between noon, the sun’s apex and height of glory, and its setting, its death (solar astrotheology), the sacrifice of sheep and goats (scapegoating of sin), the cutting off of the hair (removing the animal nature), and then the stoning by the purified pilgrim of the “three” pillars, representative of various devils (personification of sin), over “three” successive days with “seven” stones each, and then a second circling of the Kaaba.

The above is the more traditional Hajj, but isn’t followed particularly closely today.

If you have reviewed the work of Alvin Boyd Kuhn that I have pointed out (particularly The Lost Light) the whole process has incredible meaning that seems to be beyond the perception of possibly every Muslims who perform it out of tradition without understanding its origins and depth of symbolic meaning. The same sort of analysis can be applied to most every ritualistic religious drama.

From this perspective the Hajj doesn’t point out the resurrection of the devil, “the adversary” as a literal being, but rather the start of the death of the real adversary, darkness, at the Winter Solstice when the sun resumes it upward movement in the sky. The devil rules for half the year with the Hajj representing darkness’s coming defeat at the Vernal (Spring Equinox) when the sun finally rises from its depths below the celestial equator.

The same sort of dramatism is reflected in the story of Horus and Sut, Persephone and Hades, Jesus’ birth on the Winter Solstice (the declaration of his mission at Baptism and resurrection both reflective of the Vernal Equinox), and throughout mythology. The fact that the devil has his period of rule is not because the devil is resurrected, and therefore has power equal to God, but because the observation of natural phenomena reveals the cycle and it is played out unknowingly in human religion that has forgot its source in the heavens.

It is these heavenly occurrences which have assumed a place in human ritual in which the darkness and the light each battle for supremacy for half the year. This meaning, the battle of opposing forces, has been applied to the human soul which battles between its own forces of light (the divine) and darkness (evil). The heavens and man fight the same battle and the two become one just as man is to become one with the divine which has always been the heavens while the flesh has been of darkness. The ceremony is reflective of the heavens and the heavens are reflected in the human soul. These words best encapsulate the true meaning of ritual: “as above, so below.”

It is well to listen to the words of Gerald Massey in his essay, Luniolotry Ancient & Modern:

“Mythology was a primitive mode of ‘thinging’ the early thought. It was founded on natural facts, and is still verifiable in phenomena. There is nothing insane, nothing irrational in it, when considered in the light of evolution, and when its mode of expression by sign-language is thoroughly understood. The insanity lies in mistaking it for human history or Divine Revelation. Mythology is the repository of man's most ancient science, and what concerns us chiefly is this--when truly interpreted once more it is destined to be the death of those false theologies to which it has unwittingly given birth!”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Great post ... :wink:

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:43 am 

My dear sister, Islam prohibits the clothes which reveal the shape of the body for both men and women.

Umrah 2013