Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:54 pm 
Thor

Hi,

I was wondering where the ''giants'' concept (Nephilim) in the bible might originate?
Did that come from an earlier myth somewhere? I noticed Christ con doesn't have any
information on them. Any info on this would be much appreciated, thanks :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that's a great question that doesn't appear to have been addressed here yet.

We do have articles addressing the Anunnaki but not specifically the Nephilim. Here's what Wikipedia has to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

Article: Who are the Anunnaki?

Forum thread: Who are the Anunnaki?

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm 
Thor

Quote:
In Aramaic culture, the term niyphelah refers to the Constellation of Orion, and nephilim to the offspring of Orion in mythology.[33] However the Brown-Driver-Briggs lexicon notes this as a "dubious etymology" and "all very precarious"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

Awesome, thanks! I particularly noted (quote above) towards the end of the wiki article that says it may just be mythically based
on constellation Orion (since he was a giant) and his offspring (Menippe and Metioche) being considered the ''nephilim''. The Brown-Driver-Briggs' aramaic dictionary doubts this explanation, but if you look at who authored that (Francis Brown), he was a member of the Union Theological Seminary (which was a theological school headed up by Skull and Bones president Henry Sloane Coffin) Herbert Draper Gallaudet was also in S&B and was a preacher there. So, I have a feeling those guys' opinions don't count for much when it comes to seeking anything true.

Thanks for the wiki link! Helped a lot! If anyone else has any thoughts or findings on what nephilim might be besides Orion, please
do drop a reply!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

From my book Did Moses Exist?

Although some of the taller local tribes have been lighted upon in order to bring realism to the story, the Exodus "giants" or nephilim tale represents not "history" but an astral or astrotheological motif.

In Aramaic, the word nephila refers to the constellation of Orion, the giant hunter in the sky who plays an important role in Egyptian religion, among many others. Gesenius's Lexicon cites the "Chaldean" (Akkadian) of this term as נפלא nephla, meaning "the giant in the sky, i.e. the constellation Orion, plur. the greater constellations."

In this same regard, in the Bible (Psalm 19:5), the sun is called "giant," using another Semitic term employed also for Orion, גבור gibbowr (Strong's H1368). Orion is called "the giant" also in Arabic, as al-jabbar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 am 
Jesus

Genesis 6:4

There were Nephilim in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

The Nephilim existed before the gods impregnated the daughters of men and produced the hybrid race of the demigods (Gilgamesh, Jesus and myriads of other “Sons of Gods”). But they still existed afterwards...

Numbers 13:33

And there we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, which come of the Nephilim: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

... at the time when the ancestors of the Israelites reached Canaan originally (to be regarded as the first modern humans to set foot on Canaan so that the two reports would make sense).

They were the indigenous people of Canaan whom the Israelites enslaved and finally exterminated.

What is so mysterious about these people, the Nephilim? They are called Giants (proper name) by most of the peoples on earth. They are known as Frost Giants in the folklore of the Norsemen and as Stone Giants in the folklore of the American Indians of the North and by every single one of them they are reported killed and entirely exterminated.

The origin of the noun “Nephilim” is from “Naphal” meaning to fall, be prostrate, drop, to be overthrown, to decay.
Since the Nephilim were undoubtedly killed to the last one, the term appears to mean “The Fallen ones”.

Reading the ancient texts literally is most of the time shocking... but informative!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

What I have stated above is factual and accurate, but your evidently gleeful recitation of supposedly "historical" slavery and genocide is noted.

In the meantime, let me repeat:

Although some of the taller local tribes have been lighted upon in order to bring realism to the story, the Exodus “giants” or nephilim tale represents not “history” but an astral or astrotheological motif. In Aramaic, the word nephila refers to the constellation of Orion, the giant hunter in the sky who plays an important role in Egyptian religion, among many others. Gesenius’s Lexicon cites the “Chaldean” (Akkadian) of this term as נפלא nephla, meaning “the giant in the sky, i.e. the constellation Orion, plur. the greater constellations.” In this same regard, in the Bible (Psalm 19:5), the sun is called “giant,” using another Semitic term employed also for Orion, גבור gibbowr (H1368). Orion is called “the giant” also in Arabic, as al-jabbar.

Summary: The Nephilim were not real people. Moreover, the Israelites did not leave Egypt in a mass of two-three million people who then "enslaved and exterminated" the native inhabitants of Canaan. If they did, they would have to be considered genocidal maniacs - but you seem to be a great fan of theirs!

In the meantime, the Exodus story is myth, and the Israelites emerged from the indigenous local Canaanite population, their traditions and religious rituals and myths derived from Canaanite, Babylonian, Egyptian, Greek and other cultures.

Instead of being a cheerleader for the cultic propaganda of ancient Jews, whose ideology invaded your homeland and destroyed your ancient gods, why don't you dig back before this cultural destruction and subordination under a false and intolerant desert pathology, to restore your own ancient, pre-biblical culture?

Such a thing would be far more dignified and therefore truthful. I'm a philhellenic from decades ago, and I detest what Christianity did to Greece. Your surrender to this violent and misogynistic invader cult that destroyed your ancestors is frankly very sad.

Jesus mythicist featured in Greek magazine