presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post subject: Jesus: The Great Debate
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:28 pm 
Thor

Hey,

Has anyone here seen Jesus: The Great Debate by Grant R. Jeffrey? He also wrote a book by that name. In the video, he says that they had the cloth that Christ was wrapped up in for proof that he existed. And they mention historians who were hostile towards him but none the less mentioned him. It is no doubtedly a whole bunch of circular reasoning. But then again, isn't everything?

What would really convince a whole bunch of skeptics would be if people were getting healed all the time in the name of Jesus. And if dead people were being resurrected in the name of Jesus, that would be very strong evidence that there is something going on with him. But this stuff is not happening. Today in the paper, a deeply religious mother of five was murdered and her body was dropped off in a Church parking lot. Her family was going to go in to identify the body. If however when a person found the body, he laid hands on it and said "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth come back to life and be healed!", and then she actually came back to life, that would be very strong evidence that God is real, Christianity is true, and God loves her. But that never happened for her or for very many other people. So if God is real and Jesus are real, why isn't he proving it?

Maybe God wants us skeptics to go to Hell. And he wants us to think that he is not real so that we won't convert to Christianity. Or maybe we are like David Icke believes the Infinite One experiencing life. And that God is totally imaginary. We have to solve our own problems because that God doesn't. Anyways, that's what I had to say. Maybe Acharya would like to watch Jesus: The Great Debate and tell us what she thinks. Maybe she already has. Does she ever mention it? Please let me know.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:23 pm 

IMHO, the Shroud is just hype. I seriously doubt something like that would have survived 2000 years, for starters and therefore it was made by people who want to fool the world in order to get brownie points from hardline Xians.

Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man. ~ Gandhi

Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages. ~ Thomas A. Edison

Post subject: Reply to Mriana
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 am 
Thor

Hey,

My mother is one of those hardcore or hardline Christians and she just might disown me if I don't come around to her way of thinking. She is always bringing me Apologetic books and videos to read and watch. It all started when I sent all of my e-mail contacts a message about what I believed. The e-mail made her extremely furious. She called me up and said "Hello Roger.............. I am very very very very angry........... You don't go preaching ATHEISM to everyone! This is serious enough to disown you! If you want to be a part of this family, you have to be a part of the family of God. I will gather up some reading material for you and you'd better take a long hard look at the evidence." I only got one hour of sleep that night (It was the Friday of Thanksgiving weekend). I was so stressed out about what my future would be like. Now, I don't consider myself to be an Atheist. But I am a truth seeker and I still don't believe in Christianity. But religion is extremely dangerous if it demands that its followers disown family members who try to persuade others to consider other possibilities. Those are my thoughts.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:48 am 

Don't take it personally, my mother is too- to the extreme. I consider myself a non-theist, but not an atheist, although I've been accused of being an atheist, heretic, etc. My mother still doesn't know where I stand, but has given me the inquisition many times. :roll:

Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man. ~ Gandhi

Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages. ~ Thomas A. Edison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:07 pm 
Hermes

It's true. I saw Jesus the other day riding on the back of a motorcycle. He was riding with Elvis. A police officer had pulled them over for riding without a helmet, but had let them off when Jesus simply explained to the officer that he's the Son of God, and that he can call down legions of angels to protect himself, and Elvis, if either of them were to even so much as stub a toe. Elvis said he was cool with that. When the officer heard that, he was amazed and believed. They went straightway to water, where the officer was baptised by Elvis, in the name of Jesus.

That's when I asked them where they were going, to which they replied that they had a gig in Nashville, where Elvis is going to make some new recordings. The new CD is going to feature parables of the Christ and good news ballads by Elvis, with Jesus playing saxaphone. It should be available in summer '08.

After that they said they were heading across the country on Harleys, to do good news tent meetings in every major city.

------

Actually, the shroud of Turin was proven, during the last few years, to have originated in medieval France. Coverage of the tests and process were covered by Nova, I think. It aired on PBS a few months back. If it wasn't Nova, it was PBS for sure. Try a search there, if you're interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:17 pm 

I suppose the Jesus you met was from Mexico and pronounced his name Hay-Sues? :lol:

Post subject: Funny!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 pm 
Thor

Hey,

Your response was funny. I liked it.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 am 

Thank you. :lol:

Post subject: Funny!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:17 pm 
Thor

Actually, Robert's comment was funnier. But yours was okay I guess.