Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 pm 

Well, in other news, with help from Youkrst, I was finally able to get my hands on a copy of Faulkner's translation of the Coffin Texts. This important work remains ever elusive to the internet. Not even so much as a preview is available on Google Books, Jstor only has a few tiny excerpts at $10 bucks a pop, and Kindle's got nothing. There just doesn't seem to be any electronic form of this work available yet. Hopefully that can all change soon. I got a copy of Dragon Naturallyspeaking 11 speech recognition software, which will transcribe audio into text, so, my plan is to read from the text and have DNS transcribe it into a searchable text. The searchable aspect also being an important feature for electronic books as well. If I do at least 10 pages a day, it'll be completed in about 80 days, 20 pages, then 40 days, so I'm guessing it'll probably take me about 60 days or somewhere there abouts. Maybe sooner if I really get into it. But this should be a nice relaxed pace that doesn't eat into my freetime.

I'm kind of excited because there's a few interesting things in here. For instance, there is one spell in particular I have seen antagonist websites use to try and imply the exact opposite of what Faulkner says the passage means in the footnotes. But you'll see that when I get to it. Or PM me if you don't want to wait until then : )

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that's quite a task, to say the least. The book is massive, with thousands of texts. You must be aware of copyright issues, however. Certainly, you could not sell it, and I doubt that it is legal to pass it around among friends, either. Posting the book on the internet as an electronic file would be illegal as well, so please don't do that!

Be aware that there will be MANY mistakes that will need editing, and the text may not be easily searchable.

All in all, it sounds like people should just try to get it from the library. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:55 pm 

Right, I appreciate the concern, and don't misunderstand my objective. I just want there to be an electronic format available since no one else seems to be taking up the task. I'm not sure if Google or Kindle accepts submissions from users or how any of that works, but I figured I would cross that bridge when I came to it as now I just wanted to get the conversion done first. Even if no one else picks it up, at the very least I would have it available to myself for personal usage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:52 pm 

Interesting.

The celestial Origins of Religious Belief
ZG Part 1
Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:44 pm 
Hercules

woohoo! coffin texts :D

i'm not really experienced in this field but i wonder if scanning the page and then using OCR software would produce a lower error rate and a faster conversion speed. (a searchable document is such an improvement)

glad to hear the Faulkner has landed.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 am 

youkrst wrote:
scanning the page and then using OCR software would produce a lower error rate and a faster conversion speed. (a searchable document is such an improvement).

I'm pretty sure that is how Blavatsky's The Secret Doctrine was digitised. It has funny errors all through, with individual letters mistaken for others, about one per paragraph. But it is still very readable and easily correctable, and most importantly, you can immediately search and copy any desired text
http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/sd/sd-hp.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:11 pm 

Yeah, that sounded like a good idea at first, but my copies are paper back and scanning them would force me to crease the covers, which I am apprehensive about doing. I think I may just do video blog readings in sections until I cover the whole thing, somewhat like the many youtube videos I've seen of people reading through Bible. But the thing is, I had really wanted to make a searchable version. I dunno. Maybe I'll crack and just scan it, cover be damned. I'll let you guys know when I decide.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:33 pm 
Jesus

GodAlmighty wrote:
Yeah, that sounded like a good idea at first, but my copies are paper back and scanning them would force me to crease the covers, which I am apprehensive about doing. I think I may just do video blog readings in sections until I cover the whole thing, somewhat like the many youtube videos I've seen of people reading through Bible. But the thing is, I had really wanted to make a searchable version. I dunno. Maybe I'll crack and just scan it, cover be damned. I'll let you guys know when I decide.

This link http://www.diybookscanner.org/ is one you are probably well aware of but I offer it just incase. In theory, they can provide various book scanning equipment designs and the digitisation and dictionary making techniques your are after. They also support the requirements to share such important source materials with those who may wish to ever one day find a need to access it and not find that, the church/government/mary whitehouse or monty python have said otherwise.

"The public more readily falls victim to the big lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large scale falsehoods" Hitler

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:40 am 

Thanks for the link, no, I hadn't heard of it yet.