Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:09 pm 

Robert has suggested voting CiE for the August & September book discussion at:

http://www.booktalk.org/post93453.html#p93453

If this sounds interesting to anyone else here (Acharya's already agreed to join the discussion if it's voted in) then please join BT and cast your votes. Books that have been discussed range from Richard Dawkin's, to Sam Harris, to Joseph Campbell, and it would nice to get Acharya's work thrown into the mix promoting freethought. But unless the popular vote is swung in her favor this won't happen. So spread the word around and join BT if you'd like to see this happen.

8)

The celestial Origins of Religious Belief
ZG Part 1
Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:30 pm 
Bast

Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: Already put my two cents in at BT.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 pm 

Thanks. As you can see I've run into a little hostility with Camacho over discussing another book that has do with religion. The main thing is to out vote those opposed to discussing another book about religion and mythology so that Murdock's work can get in there and get some attention. Camacho may not choose to participate in the discussion but so what. It's probably better that way.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:47 am 
Bast

Tat Tvam Asi wrote:
Thanks. As you can see I've run into a little hostility with Camacho over discussing another book that has do with religion. The main thing is to out vote those opposed to discussing another book about religion and mythology so that Murdock's work can get in there and get some attention. Camacho may not choose to participate in the discussion but so what. It's probably better that way.

Well if we all had the same interest and beliefs it would be a boring world......I for one hope the book makes it in cause I want to get in on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 am 

Well, I hit Camacho where it hurts and he pulled out of the discussion and said that he's going to take a break for a little while. He was being a douche bag and took offense when I finally called it. I never really liked the guy and he never really liked me either, so it is what it is. But as far voting goes, we have a majority for CiE from what I can tell.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:14 am 
Bast

I hope so. I would really like to see this book as a discussion I think it would be real interesting and for once I have the book in question!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:43 am 

For sure. I want to go through the chapter on sources and Massey with everyone and see what they think. I want to go over the blatant censorship of Epiphanius that Murdock exposed and see what peope have to say about that. I want to see everyone's response to the ton's of parallels given in ZG part 1 when analyzed against the source material. These are things that need to be read and acknowledged in some way. The Alexandrian hypothesis is something that too few people are familiar with and just plain don't understand when someone raises it in discussion outside of this forum. That needs to change too. The only way to change that is to get the subject matter out there and BT is a great way of getting more exposure with the book reading community.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:22 pm 
Bast

Well all I know is you can definitely count me in! Members here at this forum that are not already a member of BT should join and get in on the discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:09 am 

Robert just proposed three book choices for vote so those for CiE need to post and say so at this point.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:53 am 
Bast

I voted already....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:08 pm 

I know, but we need everyone else that may read this and wants to see CiE make it to mainstream discussing there to do the same.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 am 

CiE won :!: :!: :!:

Chris Oconner wrote:
I'm not suggesting that Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection by DM Murdock be a "secondary" discussion at all. It would be an official BookTalk.org discussion.

I just would like another book discussion running concurrently for those people not interested in participating in the astrotheology book. We run multiple book discussions concurrently all the time. No one book discussion is subservient to the next so there wouldn't be anything in the forum name, description or format to give members or visitors the notion that this isn't an official book discussion.

Since so many of you are interested in Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection by DM Murdock I think we should simply get moving on it. I will create the forum and announce it very soon as the August and September book.

I will be counting on all of you guys that have drifted over here from the Murdock site to actually participate in this discussion. I notice several people chiming in and they haven't even read the first post and the rules. As regulars know, and as the first post in this thread says, we only accept suggestions and votes from members with 25 posts. We have good reasons for this rule, but in this case we can throw that rule aside. If you all are friends from another forum and are committed to a quality discussion of this book then we can just go for it.

Thank you all for helping swing this vote in favor of CiE :!: :!: :!:
Quote:
Also, would one of you like to volunteer as discussion leader for this book? And can you talk to the author and see about a live chat session? We could do a live chat at the end of September OR simply an email interview OR the author could jump right into the forum discussion OR any combination of these options. But I will really need some help here. If you want to do the live chat I need one or two of you to agree to act as chat host. This is pretty simple stuff. Just be present in the live chat and ask questions when other people aren't asking questions. Do your best to keep the chat humming along and everyone having fun and learning. I will not do a live chat without this agreement because quite frankly I am not planning to read this particular book. I cannot ask educated questions if I haven't read the book. So I will need some help here or we can stick with an email interview.

If the discussion is active and everyone is enjoying it we can extend it an additional month too.

So we can get the book discussed, have a live chat with Acharya running at some point near the end, and try to invite as many people as possible to join us in the discussion. We can debate any apologists that may appear and show everyone what this book is really about. And of course we should also contribute to other BT discussions helping Chris raise active BT membership in the process. It's a quality site full of intellectual heavy weights that are rather fun to discuss issues with from what I've experienced so far as a member there. And in the process we may get some new traffic coming back our way as well.

Thanks again to everyone for helping make this happen.

ZG Part 1