Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:26 pm 
Bast

I will do that. Acharya have you read Charles Fosters "Jesus Inquest?" Its a great read.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 pm 

Thanks Acharya, I'm sure everyone will enjoy having the author active in discussion. And I can't wait to see how the new CC will unfold. 8)

The celestial Origins of Religious Belief
ZG Part 1
Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 pm 

I just visited Booktalk again, and damn, this discussion really brought the nutjobs out of the woodwork, eh?

Is anyone else suspicious that all these posters are newbies who signed up very soon after one another and are defending one another?

I see the indications of a sock puppeteer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:14 pm 

It looks that way.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:24 am 

GodAlmighty wrote:
I just visited Booktalk again, and damn, this discussion really brought the nutjobs out of the woodwork, eh?

Is anyone else suspicious that all these posters are newbies who signed up very soon after one another and are defending one another?

I see the indications of a sock puppeteer.

It is inevitable in talking about Ancient Egypt and its influence on Christianity that a wide variety of opinions will be voiced. I don't think that is a bad thing, rather it is an opportunity for education. I don't think Chris allows sock puppets, but Booktalk tends to be fairly relaxed, so he wouldn't check unless people had suspicions. PM him if you are worried about it.

If you think that people are posting wrong claims, then please correct them. It is only through open debate of this sort that the theories advanced in Christ in Egypt will gain more attention. For example TAFKA Starburst suggested Christ in Egypt is just a list of sources, an opinion which fails to see the rather massive analytical work in the book as it compares Egyptian sources to their Christian use. I will certainly challenge this comment when I get around to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:36 am 
Bast

Yeah and it would seem that from reading the discussions there's only one point of view "Roberts"..................

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:33 am 

Robert is obviously selling his reformation ideas throughout the discussion, but he's the one who brought everyone to booktalk and was influential in making this all happen and getting CiE up front for discussion along side of Dawkins, Campbell, Harris, etc. It wouldn't really have worked to have any of the rest of us as discussion leader. But perhaps Robert will heed everyone's request to stick to the book itself and do less of the personal belief proselytizing. If the belief issue hurts the discussion of CiE, which some have asserted it is doing, well then it may be best for Robert to let the aside issues go and just stick soley to what the book is saying. The other thing is that we need more people participating to get more perspectives into the mix if people are concerned that Roberts is too dominant...

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Admin

The problem is not with Robert. TROLLING is the problem I see.

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 pm 
Bast

Freethinkaluva22 wrote:
The problem is not with Robert. TROLLING is the problem I see.

Yeah trolls are a problem. I made a few posts and just quit its a one sided discussion. I bought the Kindle version of the book off Amazon I can still read it without the BT discussion. Great book Achayra!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Needless to say, I'm disappointed to hear that the quality level is not particularly good at Booktalk.org. I haven't been monitoring it, but if there's some specifics you need, let me know.

Thank you, Star Burst. I gather, however, that you are being somewhat hostile at BT. Is there some reason for this behavior towards me and my work, or is my information incorrect?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 pm 
Bast

Acharya wrote:
Needless to say, I'm disappointed to hear that the quality level is not particularly good at Booktalk.org. I haven't been monitoring it, but if there's some specifics you need, let me know.

Thank you, Star Burst. I gather, however, that you are being somewhat hostile at BT. Is there some reason for this behavior towards me and my work, or is my information incorrect?

Nah, your info is great....I love your work. Just get frustrated because I cannot remember a lot of this no matter how much I read it. I really get into this Astrotheology a lot I just have a memory problem of course ay my age I am lucky to still have a memory. Thats one of the reasons I have stayed away from the discussion as I said I purchased the book on Amazon for Kindle and its great! No I defend your work when I can though as I said my memory fails a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:45 pm 

Acharya, we've had some mystics come on and start trying to promote an historical Jesus going to Egypt and the usual things that happen when a name like "Christ in Egypt" appears up front. That side tracked the book a bit. Roberts rightfully leading the discussion, but a few people have gotten pissed because they think he's strayed from the book and off into his own personal beliefs. For the sake of keeping it interesting I've differed with Robert a little bit and tried to point out where he's gone beyond the book a little too far in some areas. But ultimately he's mostly represented what is in the book and hasn't done a bad job or anything. If you see anything that may be in error then it would be nice if you stop by again and clarify what you meant in the book.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:29 am 

Tat Tvam Asi wrote:
perhaps Robert will heed everyone's request to stick to the book itself and do less of the personal belief proselytizing.

The nature of this sort of discussion is that facts are ignored while opinions are discussed. I have put a lot of facts out there in chapter summaries which have been ignored. Booktalk is a venue for debate about opinions. It is only proselytizing if you fail to engage with criticism. I remain of the view that all of the comments I have made are within the scope of reasonable interpretation of the text.

My debate with ScoobyNubis was about his assertion that belief in miracles is legitimate. My opinion that belief in miracles is incompatible with science is hardly proselytizing a personal belief, and I didn't think much of his call for me to show more respect for believers in miracles. Nor do I think it is proselytizing to assert that mythicism promotes a reading of the texts within a finite rather than an infinite framework. This is a perfectly reasonable area of analysis that helps to set the book against other philosophy.

The question of whether mythicism suggests a rejection or a reform of Christianity is another one that is a reasonable topic for debate. I know this is a sensitive topic among some ex-fundamentalists, but the inference that mythicism means Christianity is irredeemable is one that Acharya may wish to comment on.

Star Burst made a rather scathing comment about Christ in Egypt condemning it as just a collection of sources. It is great that he is reading the book, but I am not sure how that comment added to the discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 am 

The forum on Christ in Egypt has had 123 posts and 2651 views. This is a reasonable level of interest in less than two weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:52 am 

Robert, once again, you are to thank for these great results and page views. And we all know that you are pushing hard for an astrotheological reform of Christianity that does not represent the MP, but rather your own personal beliefs.
Quote:
My opinion that belief in miracles is incompatible with science is hardly proselytizing a personal belief, and I didn't think much of his call for me to show more respect for believers in miracles. Nor do I think it is proselytizing to assert that mythicism promotes a reading of the texts within a finite rather than an infinite framework. This is a perfectly reasonable area of analysis that helps to set the book against other philosophy.

When I say proselytizing I only mean that you are pushing for an astrotheologial reform of Christianity, which you openly are. Since the MP, as an all inclusive position, has absolutely nothing to do with reforming Christianity into an astrotheological context, people are easily confused between Acharya's MP presented in the book and your personal beliefs about how you view the MP. That is essentially why I had to get into it with "duece bag" over there. That is why he and some others think that astrotheology is some type of a cult. That is why there is a great deal of confusion surrounding astrotheology at BT. I only mean to try and chime in and clarify some of the confusion surrounding the MP.

Quote:
The question of whether mythicism suggests a rejection or a reform of Christianity is another one that is a reasonable topic for debate. I know this is a sensitive topic among some ex-fundamentalists, but the inference that mythicism means Christianity is irredeemable is one that Acharya may wish to comment on.

Yes, yes, I would enjoy having Acharya respond to that. It's perfectly valid to come away from CiE with the idea of wanting to try and reform Christianity, but the book itself is not written with reforming Christianity in mind, at least I didn't see it that way. But that's one conclusion that can be drawn though. I think that if we continually go along representing both sides it will make for an interesting discussion. We don't have any apologists to keep things interesting so we'll have to make do with internal conflicting mythicist ideas until a common foe arrives. :lol: This little bit between you and I keeps bringing Dwill into the discussion, whereas he probably wouldn't check in otherwise. :wink:

ZG Part 1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next