Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:03 pm 
Bast

Robert Tulip wrote:
Tat Tvam Asi wrote:
perhaps Robert will heed everyone's request to stick to the book itself and do less of the personal belief proselytizing.

The nature of this sort of discussion is that facts are ignored while opinions are discussed. I have put a lot of facts out there in chapter summaries which have been ignored. Booktalk is a venue for debate about opinions. It is only proselytizing if you fail to engage with criticism. I remain of the view that all of the comments I have made are within the scope of reasonable interpretation of the text.

My debate with ScoobyNubis was about his assertion that belief in miracles is legitimate. My opinion that belief in miracles is incompatible with science is hardly proselytizing a personal belief, and I didn't think much of his call for me to show more respect for believers in miracles. Nor do I think it is proselytizing to assert that mythicism promotes a reading of the texts within a finite rather than an infinite framework. This is a perfectly reasonable area of analysis that helps to set the book against other philosophy.

The question of whether mythicism suggests a rejection or a reform of Christianity is another one that is a reasonable topic for debate. I know this is a sensitive topic among some ex-fundamentalists, but the inference that mythicism means Christianity is irredeemable is one that Acharya may wish to comment on.

Star Burst made a rather scathing comment about Christ in Egypt condemning it as just a collection of sources. It is great that he is reading the book, but I am not sure how that comment added to the discussion.

Quote:
Star Burst made a rather scathing comment about Christ in Egypt condemning it as just a collection of sources. It is great that he is reading the book, but I am not sure how that comment added to the discussion.

Oh well, I said what I thought thats what the discussion is for right? I for one am glad that it has the sources it does because it allows you to research further. But if it will make you feel any better I will not interrupt your discussion any more BT is gone from my book marks. Here to is gone bye.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:38 pm 

You did post complaining about CiE being nothing but sources, which is ridiculous because if it were nothing but sources then Murdock wouldn't have written a single word between quotations. Obviously you weren't being literal. You expressed that you were disappointed with the book. I'm not sure what you were expecting from this scholarly oriented non-fiction book.

The celestial Origins of Religious Belief
ZG Part 1
Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:32 pm 

Best wishes Star Burst. I like you and enjoy reading your comments although I sometimes think you say things you have not thought about properly. I confess I worry about some of your obsessions and how healthy you are. I hope you have learned something from your participation at Booktalk.

All this material touches on some deeply emotional topics. I really value the exchange of opinions as it addresses areas that I have thought and read about widely over a long period. Exploring the philosophical and theological implications is quite difficult, as I have tried to point out in a thread on how Christ in Egypt deconstructs Christian ideas.

FTL, we only had one real case of trolling, with the alchemist who politely took his material to another part of the forum. Even his contribution was valuable as it opened up the question of how any such investigation of Egyptian myth relates to magical traditions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 pm 

He PM'd me and I asked him to start up an alchemy thread in the religion and philosophy forums because it wasn't suitable for the CiE discussion. And it served him well because he got attention on the new thread.

For whatever the reason, participation has declined. I know that a few people said that they have books on order. Hopefully it will pick up in August and September.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

It's probably just that so many people are out doors enjoying summer time. A discussion of such a big and intense book like CIE would probably make a better discussion at BT during winter months.

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:06 pm 

At least we have forums up for the book that people can reflect back on. And we have representation of two main perspectives in mythicism - one of religious reform and one of religious decline.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:00 am 

Acharya wrote:
Needless to say, I'm disappointed to hear that the quality level is not particularly good at Booktalk.org.

And where did you hear that from? Perhaps you should read the forum before making such sweeping comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Robert, you need to read several posts just above hers ... that's where she got it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Robert Tulip wrote:
Acharya wrote:
Needless to say, I'm disappointed to hear that the quality level is not particularly good at Booktalk.org.

And where did you hear that from? Perhaps you should read the forum before making such sweeping comments.

If you look right above where I posted that comment, I'm responding to Starburst's remark here:

Quote:
Yeah trolls are a problem. I made a few posts and just quit its a one sided discussion. I bought the Kindle version of the book off Amazon I can still read it without the BT discussion. Great book Achayra!

I even addressed him by name, which indicated where I got that impression from.

I was also addressing GA's comment here:

GodAlmighty wrote:
I just visited Booktalk again, and damn, this discussion really brought the nutjobs out of the woodwork, eh?

Is anyone else suspicious that all these posters are newbies who signed up very soon after one another and are defending one another?

I see the indications of a sock puppeteer.

I wasn't speaking about you, Robert, as I've agreed you're doing a great job there. I had read several of your comments, with the unfortunate intrusion of Al Sylvester in there pushing alchemy. I was actually apologizing to YOU, as I gathered the impression that you were being drowned in trolls, rather than people appreciating your work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Tat Tvam Asi wrote:
He PM'd me and I asked him to start up an alchemy thread in the religion and philosophy forums because it wasn't suitable for the CiE discussion. And it served him well because he got attention on the new thread.

For whatever the reason, participation has declined. I know that a few people said that they have books on order. Hopefully it will pick up in August and September.

The impression was that the book had been chosen for discussion during those months, so I was a bit surprised that there was any discussion yet this month.

That being said, July and August are the worst times of the year for intellectual discussions and book sales, in my experience. It's unfortunate.

I'll try to jump in some more myself. I'm in the process of creating The 2012 Astrotheology Calendar.

I'm not particularly inspired when I see such derogatory remarks from "Azrael/Starburst" - I can't imagine that he has even actually been reading my book.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 am 

Yeah that's true Acharya, we got off to an early start. Some people are likely still waiting for their books too. We're still getting page views though and Chris just announced that BT is on the road to having a record month for page views. Hopefully our discussion has in some way contributed to this spike. This has happened before. We were all going around and around with a troll name Stahrwe about young earth creation and the only people posting were me, Robert, and the regulars @ BT. But the page views were sky high. It was such a controversial and aggressive discussion that people kept tuning in I guess. And being that CiE is no less controversial, it's on the main page along side of Campbell, Dawkins, and Harris, And steadily hanging in there on the new posts feed, people are looking in on the discussion. So that's a pretty good start and good for publicity of the book. As long as we can manage to keep the discussions alive things should go pretty well.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:15 am 

Apologies, I am just teasing you. I'm not fussed about Star Burst, but GodAlmighty certainly has something to answer for in giving wrong impressions about the abundance of trolls ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:26 pm 

No, I do not, as I made no statements about trolls. That was FTL. See ya later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, that was me. My impression was that "Azrael/Starburst" was looking like a troll over there at Booktalk. I was just calling them as I saw them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 pm 

That was a correct observation BTW.

Well, it looks like we're getting action from the BT regulars now. Interbane and Johnson have stepped in. They've both defended Murdock plenty of times from Stahrwe's trolling psuedo-skepticism and critism in conversations past. It's good to see them taking interest in our discussion. I believe that it was Interbane and Frank that first turned Robert on to the Christ Myth and ZG which led him here to this forum at some point while investigating the claims.

ZG Part 1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next