Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:58 pm 

GodAlmighty wrote:
I just visited Booktalk again, and damn, this discussion really brought the nutjobs out of the woodwork, eh?

Is anyone else suspicious that all these posters are newbies who signed up very soon after one another and are defending one another?

I see the indications of a sock puppeteer.

Apologies GodAlmighty, I just assumed "nutjob" was a euphemism for troll.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:22 pm 

Like attracts like, unfortunately. If we debate with trolls for a few years, that's an amazing amount of information archived that another troll is likely to google. They follow the link then read something that they absolutely must respond to because it's wrong.

We've had some extreme nutjobs recently. First a priest that believes Christianity has it's roots in panspermia and alien invasions. Then someone who believes Jesus was a master alchemist and that brewing a potion is the answer to the universe. You have to admit, the ideas are entertaining. Even though talking to them unleashes all the same poor reasoning swaddled in endless fuzzy language and rationalization. Such ideas, if properly rationalized, are good for stories. If I had the knowledge some of you had, though, it would irritate me.

I followed a link to here from Booktalk. My name is Joe. Interbane was a nickname I picked when I was young and full of mystery. I love the videos Godalmighty, have watched many over time.

I'm not sure if I could reliably motivate myself to read the CiE books, and I'm also not sure how to say that without sounding offensive. I already agree with most everything said, so there's no antagonistic emotion there to rile me up and keep me going. Perhaps if I read it as devil's advocate. But even then... if I see something as true, I can't reasonably argue against it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:23 pm 

Hey Interbane, nice to see you. All of the Egyptian parallels in the beginning to middle of CiE you probably understand and agree with. It's basically taking the Horus list from Zeitgeist part 1 on religion and proving to the antagonists they do in fact hold true. Near the end of the book Murdock presents an entirely unique perspective on Christian origins and the role Alexandria may have played. That's when it will be nice to have all of those who agree with the parallels taking a look at the Alexandrian hypothesis. And I'm going to post lengthy quotation from the book when get down to covering the Alexandrian roots.

Congrats on the record month for page views at BT! Hopefully putting CiE up front has contributed to that in some way. 8)

The celestial Origins of Religious Belief
ZG Part 1
Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:54 pm 
Bast

In a broader perspective the deeper examination of connections have additional value, as few things come down to either correct or wrong. Our perception and interpretation of information are always in some sence colored by who we are. Reflections and discussions add knowledge, and serve a higher purpose than winning or loosing a battle of esteem.

In fact I would advise people taking on the role as the "devils advocate" from time to time. Examinating own point of view in such manner will either show prior view being flawed, or strenghten foundation of own point of view.

Language in itself is myth, as are the way we by language communicate with others. Science and knowledge are our description of the complex natural world. The complex natural world existed before our description, and our description will change as we move forward. :wink:

Never place blame on man, because it happens to all. No matter how wise, a fool he becomes, when love steals his powers.

Hávamál

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:38 pm 
Thor

Star Burst wrote:

Oh well, I said what I thought thats what the discussion is for right? I for one am glad that it has the sources it does because it allows you to research further. But if it will make you feel any better I will not interrupt your discussion any more BT is gone from my book marks. Here to is gone bye.

Obscure sources interpreted and revised by Murdock et al and unavailable in their initial format are not legitimate sources.

At one time tat indicated that AronRa was going to issue a program on original sources. It should be out by now, please provide a link to it.

Interesting that RT thinks the nuts are coming out of the woodwork.

Why is CIE so expensive? Normally any book with even minimal circulation has used copies available at big discounts on Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

stahrwe wrote:
Obscure sources interpredted and revised by Murdock et al and unavailable in their initial format are not legitimate sources.

LOL, that is a blatantly obvious LIE to anyone who has actually read the book and checked the sources.

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:04 pm 

stahrwe wrote:
Star Burst wrote:

Oh well, I said what I thought thats what the discussion is for right? I for one am glad that it has the sources it does because it allows you to research further. But if it will make you feel any better I will not interrupt your discussion any more BT is gone from my book marks. Here to is gone bye.

Obscure sources interpredted and revised by Murdock et al and unavailable in their initial format are not legitimate sources.

At one time tat indicated that AronRa was going to issue a program on original sources. It should be out by now, please provide a link to it.

Why is CIE so expensive? Normally any book with even minimal circulation has used copies available at big discounts on Amazon.

I knew you'd turn up soon enough Stahrwe. Welcome sir to the FTN.

a) GodAlmighty has videos out which carefully examine some of the sources from CiE. They've been out for a while and after the Christian Apologists had him flagged at youtube GodAlmighty set out to re-do them all. They'll be plastered all around when they're finished.

b) It wasn't Tulip who said that the nuts are coming out of the woodwork, that was actually GodAlmighty who looked in on the discussions and made that observation. Tulip was saying that it really isn't all that bad in response.

c) And last but not least, you say Murdocks sources are not available in their initial format? What sources are you referring to Stahrwe?

:lol:

The celestial Origins of Religious Belief
ZG Part 1
Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:10 pm 

So that really is him then, the infamous Stahrwe I've heard so little about. Meh. Already I can see that the reputation this guy has among the Booktalk members is well deserved, as right off the bat he debuts with a post containing some misinformed views.

For instance, as per Tat's post I deduce Stahrwe actually had me in mind and so has obviously confused me with Aronra. While I myself consider that a compliment as I am a huge admirer of the Aron's, I don't think the actual Aronra would find this conflation too flattering. What Stahrwe's basis is for making this conflation, I do not know, but whatever that basis is, it is clearly mistaken.

By "issue a program on original sources", I can only deduce that Stahrwe has in mind one of the possibilities I tossed around on this forum and on Facebook back when my Youtube channel was shut down. That idea was to possibly compose the primary source material I've gathered into a topical index in PDF format.
To my recollection, I never stated this to be anything more than a possibility, and I certainly NEVER set a deadline on it, so this "it should be out by now" claim is an arbitrary and misinformed expectation.

And Tat is correct, it was myself that had made the comment that the nutjobs were coming out over at Booktalk, as one can clearly see my name as the author of the quotation in Robert's post. And I said this because I saw an Al Sylvester coming on threads concerning Acharya's book and promoting his views on alchemy which had nothing to do with her book, and he even went so far as to claim he has the formula for making the philosopher's stone, sans one last ingredient or last step or something to that effect.
Then I saw username "a gnostic" coming on there claiming rebirth is a real experience and that Jesus was a magician initiated into the Egyptian mysteries, etc.
And then there was a moment when ScoobyNubis seemed to me to be trying to get a foot in the door for the possibility of miracles.

So yeah, that's only three, so, even though my original comment gave no numerical value or even terms like "a lot", I suppose it could be taken as a bit of a hyperbole. But whatever, that's beside the point. I'm guessing the inference from the statement that Stahrwe finds it "interesting that RT thinks the nuts are coming out of the woodwork" is that Robert himself is a nut. Perhaps that guess is wrong, but I've seen that there's no love loss between Robert and Stahrwe. While even Robert and I do not see eye to eye on everything, I've certainly found the contents of his posts, even the ones I disagree with, to be rather thought provoking and not exactly what I would consider 'nutty'. But whatever, to each his own I guess. Welcome to FTN. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:31 pm 
Thor

Quote:
And last but not least, you say Murdocks sources are not available in their initial format? What sources are you referring to Stahrwe?

I would be surprised if they were. Since the sources in their original format are not available, whatever they were they are irrelevant because they cannot be objectively evaluated.

I'll check back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:23 pm 

I'd followed the references to source material on a randomly selected group from Acharya's book. They all panned out, but each one takes a touch of legwork to ensure they are valid. I think some people would prefer to believe the sources aren't substantial, rather than put forth due diligence. A spreadsheet containing the major themes, with each row representing a theme, would help. Various supporting points would be in each cell, summarized. Each cell could hyperlink to source material. This would be a lot of work, but having a way to interact with the information would be great. It would only be supplemental to the book, rather than an alternative.

I've seen tables that have done this on other sites, but it was categorized around specific quotes rather than themes. The table didn't use an entire row to bridge together themes. Showing the connection between December 25 and Egyptian beliefs is a theme that would need a few sources linked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

I've posted a new comment on Booktalk.org about the Virgin Mother Goddess concept:

The Egyptian Virgin Mother Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:46 am 
Thor

Interbane wrote:
I'd followed the references to source material on a randomly selected group from Acharya's book. They all panned out.

How about posting your survey? I'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:29 pm 

stahrwe wrote:
Obscure sources interpreted and revised by Murdock et al and unavailable in their initial format are not legitimate sources.

You will have to do better than that if you are not going to get banned here too Stahrwe. Using the Roger Pearse playbook of trolling by insinuation, when you cannot even quote correctly, is not an impressive start. And kicking off by impugning the scholarship of the board owner with a completely unjustified smear is hardly likely to make people tolerate you. Trolling is a fine art, requiring skill, cunning and deception. You will have to conceal your irrational creationist intentions far better if you want to catch any fish or derail the conversation here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Very well said as usual, Robert 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a new thread over at Booktalk.

Christ in Egypt: The Mythicist Position

Thanks Robert! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next