Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 pm 
Thor

Perhaps I'm asking a question that someone else asked before, but I'm having difficulties getting background information about this scholar except from the link below:

http://faithforduty.co.uk/TGS/witt.htm

The link is devoid of Egyptology references.

Also the wikipedia list of Egyptologists does not list Witt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Egyptologists

Can someone confirm that he was a mainstream Egyptologist? I would appreciate that.

Finally, it would be nice to have a handy list of Egyptologists that confirm Isis was a virgin goddess. Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have to double-check, I was under the impression that Dr. Reginald Eldred Witt was an Egyptologist. Witt wrote, Isis in the Ancient World.

Here's a brief list of Egyptologists cited in Christ in Egypt:

Quote:
"Included in Christ in Egypt are the works of popular, modern Egyptologists such as..."

Rudolf Anthes
Jan Assman
Hellmut Brunner
Claas J. Bleeker
Bob Brier
Henri Frankfort
Alan H. Gardiner
John Gwyn Griffiths
Erik Hornung
Barry Kemp
Barbara Lesko
Bojana Mojsov
Siegfried Morenz
William Murnane
Margaret A. Murray
Donald B. Redford
Herman te Velde
Claude Traunecker
Reginald E. Witt
Louis V. Zabkar

and many more!

Also provided are comments from respected astronomers and historians!

The quote below was originally in this thread.

Quote:
"The Pyramid Texts speak of "the great virgin" (Hwn.t wr.t) three times 682c, 728a, 2002a"

"In a text in the Abydos Temple of Seti I, Isis herself declares: "I am the great virgin"

- Christ in Egypt, page 152,

* Pyramid Texts are 4,400 years old

Quote:
Quote:
"...Horus was not the only sun-god recognised by the Egyptians. His own father Osiris, the Savior (of whom Horus was a re-incarnation), was born—also at the winter solstice—of an immaculate virgin, the goddess Neith, who, like Isis, the mother of Horus, was known by the titles of Mother of God, Immaculate Virgin, Queen of Heaven, Star of the Sea, The Morning Star, The Intercessor."

- William Williamson, The Great Law: A Study of Religious Origins, 26

Quote:
"The miraculous birth of Jesus could be viewed as analogous to that of Horus, whom Isis conceived posthumously from Osiris, and Mary was closely connected with Isis by many other shared characteristics."

- Dr. Erik Hornung, The Secret Lore of Egypt, 75

Quote:
"The Egyptian goddess who was equally ‘the Great Virgin’ (hwnt) and ‘Mother of the God’ was the object of the very same praise bestowed upon her successor [Mary, Virgin Mother of Jesus]."

- Dr. R.E. Witt, Isis in the Ancient World, 273

Quote:
"...the resemblances between Isis and the Virgin Mary are far too close and numerous to be accidental. There can, in fact, be no question that the Isiac cult was a profound influence on other religions, not least Christianity ... [Isis] was the sacred embodiment of motherhood, yet was known as the Great Virgin, an apparent contradiction that will be familiar to Christians."

- Dr. James Curl, The Egyptian Revival, 12-13

- Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection, page 120

I'll just re-post some images GA had posted elsewhere in the forum:

Pyramid Texts: "Great Virgin"

Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament, Volume 2, pg.338-339:

"The Pyramid Texts speak of "the great virgin" (Hwn.t wr.t) three times (682c, 728a, 2002a..."

Plate 9 "In a text in the Abydos Temple of Seti I, Isis herself declares: "I am the great virgin"

- Christ in Egypt, page 152

from this post

The glyph translations were taken from Budge's dictionary.

GA's original post

Maiden, Damsel, Pure, Chaste = synonyms for VIRGIN

GA: "Maiden in Faulkner's Pyramid Texts DOES necessarily mean virgin, as this maiden cannot copulate and only got pregnant through non-sexual supernatural means."

From GA's original post

Virgin - What does it mean? Hebrew definition and scriptures

ISIS IS A VIRGIN MOTHER!!!

Neith, Virgin Mother of the World

For what it's worth, here are some images for Isis-Meri

From here and here.

Other images here.

Below is a video clip of modern Egyptologist Dr. Bojana Mojsov admitting parallels between Osiris &/or Horus with Jesus. And, at 5:30 you'll see a stone carving of Isis as she hovers over Osiris in the form of a bird to receive the divine seed (notice there's no 'member') of Osiris. Mojsov then says, "It's a miraculous birth of the savior child."

'Osiris...begetting a son by Isis, who hovers over him in the form of a hawk.'
(Budge, On the Future Life: Egyptian Religion, 80)

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 pm 
Thor

All that is great information, my favorite being the text from the Temple of Seti I in Abydos.

However, even though Dr. Erik Hornung comes close to saying it, Egyptologists seem to shy away from directly stating that Isis is a virgin. Other scholars do say it. It just that I would have liked to have more Egyptologists explicitly declare Isis a virgin. You know, multiple lines of evidence cements a concept as a fact like in biological evolution.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 pm 

After a brief Google search, Dr. Witt obtained his doctorate at Cambridge and his dissertation was on Philosophy/Ancient Philosophy. So I am guessing that's the subject he got his PhD in. If that is the case, then this is a similar situation to Dr. Robert Brier, a world renowned Egyptologist, whose PhD is likewise in Philosophy. He would be called an Egyptologist by profession, rather than by the letters on his degree. I know of NO ONE who would ever dispute that Brier is indeed a very accomplished Egyptologist just because his degree is in Philosophy. In fact, there are actually very few schools that actually offer a doctorate explicitly named "Egyptology." Most Egyptologists I've seen have their PhD in Near-Eastern Languages/Studies, Archaeology, Sociocultural Anthropology, Ancient History, etc. Brier has made his contributions of original research to the field, most notably, being the first academic in the modern era to replicate the ancient Egyptian mummification process. The mummified cadaver is still used as a study tool to this day. His credentials are beyond dispute. So I wouldn't be too concerned over the labeling on Witt's doctorate. His book on Isis has TWICE been published by peer-reviewed academic publishers, the most recent of which was in 1997. Citing him is fine and I would dare say those who dispute citing him have more of a problem supporting their position than you do.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm 
Thor

Alright! That's what I'm talking about! Thank you GodAlmighty you're indeed almighty. It's good to have the resources of people that have a superior intellect in the subject. You make me feel humble, but in a good way.

Ok, so let me understand this well, scholars with a Ph.D. that specialize in the science of Egyptology, and that are peer reviewed by other Egyptologists become Egyptologists themselves. This is logical and a really great explanation. Thanks again GodAlmighty!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:08 am 

Witt's book on Isis is excellent. I looked at it in a recent discussion on the comparison between Mary and Isis. The similarity in character between Mary and Isis can be seen by comparing the Magnificat at Luke 1 where Mary explains her agenda to this description of Isis given by RE Witt in Isis in the Ancient World.

Witt says
Quote:
Skillful as healer and discoverer of the mysteries of birth, life and death, Isis was the lady who saved. Isis came to win the unswerving love and loyalty of countless men and women of every rank. Her names were infinite and her wisdom immeasurable. Sharing in the love of the Good and the Beautiful, and imbued with the purest principles, she taught her followers to pursue penitence, pardon and peace. She is characterised as being the inventress of all, as having divided earth from heaven, as making the universe spin round and as being triumphant over Fate, Fortune and the Stars. She was tender-hearted as a mother. On the whole human race she could be thought to bestow her love, being its never absent redeemer and its haven of rest and safety, the Holy One. The friend of slaves and sinners, of the artisans and the downtrodden, at the same time she heard the prayers of the wealthy , the unblemished maiden, the aristocrat and the emperor. She was ready to associate with other cosmic deities such as Mithras. She prevailed through the force of love, pity, compassion, and her personal concern for sorrows such as she had herself known as she sat near the well at Byblos, lowly and tearful.

Isis in the Ancient World, http://books.google.com.au/books?id=WpO ... e&q&f=true by RE Witt, published by Cornell and Johns Hopkins University Presses, says Isis was “one of the most sublime deifications of motherhood and yet in the Osiris Hymn called the ‘Great Virgin’. Witt says Isis was known as ‘the Lady of Bread’, a name that displays continuity with the Virgo motif of the star Spica, the ear of wheat.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Egyptologists and Isis the Virgin

GA has already covered this issue well, but I will add to it.

It's hard to believe we are having this debate again about ancient mythical parthenogenesis, which predates the common era by thousands of years, specifically as an attribute of the Egyptian goddess Neith, who is merged with Isis. In my book I covered this subject quite thoroughly, and we've done it to death here as well. Again, the concept of the virgin birth - technically called "parthenogenesis" - predates Christianity by thousands of years and was an attribute of the Egyptian godddess Neith, who is syncretized with Isis.

Moreover, the Egyptian Christians, the Copts, themselves repeatedly made the correspondence between the Virgin Mary and Isis, apparently recognizing this very ancient idea of parthenogenesis as applicable to the Egyptian goddess concept in general. That's all there is to it.

Regarding other scholars avoiding the word "virgin," keep in mind that academia in the West has been dominated for centuries by Christians, and scholars in many fields have been reluctant to step on Christian toes. If I recall correctly, Erik Hornung - an acclaimed Egyptologist - complained more than once about Christian bias impeding Egyptology.

As concerns Witt, the word "Egyptologist" may not be directly used in any printed biography regarding Witt, but by the definition of "Egyptology," his book on the Egyptian goddess Isis qualifies as an Egyptological study:

Quote:
E·gyp·tol·o·gy

the scientific study of Egyptian antiquities.

Egyptology

the study of the archaeology and language of ancient Egypt

Egyptologist - an archeologist who specializes in Egyptology

Witt was a professional scholar who wrote an (important) Egyptological study; hence, it is not erroneous to call him an "Egyptologist." More pointedly, Witt was an "Isisologist," i.e., a recognized expert on Isis specifically. He is deferred to many times in numerous texts by major academic publishers as an Isis expert; thus, his opinion on Isis is more relevant than that of most other scholars, regardless of his formal title.

Another famous Egyptologist - appearing on the Wiki list - is Jean-François Champollion, the "French classical scholar, philologist and orientalist, decipherer of the Egyptian hieroglyphs." Champollion is one of the decipherers of the Rosetta stone who was not originally trained in Egyptology per se. He did not even have the equivalent of a PhD, to my knowledge. Yet, few would argue that he is not an Egyptologist.

Conversely, Isis expert Dr. J. Gwyn Griffiths is not on the Wiki list; yet, he is specifically called an "Egyptologist" by Dr. Brook W.R. Pearson in a publication (Corresponding Sense, 324) by E.J. Brill, arguably the best academic press in English. Many others specify Griffiths as an "Egyptologist." In the meantime, in his individual entry on Wiki, Griffiths is specified as a "Welsh poet, Egyptologist and nationalist political activist." The Wiki Egyptologist list is not exhaustive and complete.

Note that Griffiths endorses Witt's book:

In the long run, this debate serves as an ad hom distraction fallacy, as it matters not if Witt was styled formally an "Egyptologist." The point is that he was a well-respected professional scholar whose important Egyptological study of Isis yields evidence of the FACT that she was associated with and considered to be a parthenogenetic goddess who brings forth without male consort.

It's really that simple.

Virgin Mother Goddesses of Antiquity
Neith, Virgin Mother of the World
ISIS WAS A VIRGIN MOTHER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:44 pm 

Yep, Griffiths is definitely bonafide as well. His name comes up a lot in this research, and he has been published numerous times in the Journal of Egyptian Archaeology. I've downloaded several of his articles from the Jstor website.