Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:29 am 
Site Admin

Here is a fascinating find that could yield some really interesting and important information about how civilization developed. It would be very cool to see what sort of astrotheological data could be found there, since any temple aligned to the stars is an astrotheological artifact.

Quote:
Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?

Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey's stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization

By Andrew Curry

"Six miles from Urfa, an ancient city in southeastern Turkey, Klaus Schmidt has made one of the most startling archaeological discoveries of our time: massive carved stones about 11,000 years old, crafted and arranged by prehistoric people who had not yet developed metal tools or even pottery. The megaliths predate Stonehenge by some 6,000 years. The place is called Gobekli Tepe, and Schmidt, a German archaeologist who has been working here more than a decade, is convinced it's the site of the world's oldest temple.

"Guten Morgen," he says at 5:20 a.m. when his van picks me up at my hotel in Urfa. Thirty minutes later, the van reaches the foot of a grassy hill and parks next to strands of barbed wire. We follow a knot of workmen up the hill to rectangular pits shaded by a corrugated steel roof—the main excavation site. In the pits, standing stones, or pillars, are arranged in circles. Beyond, on the hillside, are four other rings of partially excavated pillars. Each ring has a roughly similar layout: in the center are two large stone T-shaped pillars encircled by slightly smaller stones facing inward. The tallest pillars tower 16 feet and, Schmidt says, weigh between seven and ten tons. As we walk among them, I see that some are blank, while others are elaborately carved: foxes, lions, scorpions and vultures abound, twisting and crawling on the pillars' broad sides.

Schmidt points to the great stone rings, one of them 65 feet across. "This is the first human-built holy place," he says......"

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... -tepe.html

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:20 am 
Hermes

A classic solar stone circle. But with animal figures engraved on it. Looks like a zodiac to me... I count 12 stones too, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
World's Oldest Temple Discovered In Turkey, Archaeologist Claims

"A German archaeologist by the name of Klaus Schmidt has claimed discovery in Turkey of the world's oldest temple. Called Gobekli Tepe, it predates Stonehenge by six thousand years, and Smithsonian magazine writes that "the find upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization:"

Six miles from Urfa, an ancient city in southeastern Turkey, Klaus Schmidt has made one of the most startling archaeological discoveries of our time: massive carved stones about 11,000 years old, crafted and arranged by prehistoric people who had not yet developed metal tools or even pottery. The megaliths predate Stonehenge by some 6,000 years. The place is called Gobekli Tepe, and Schmidt, a German archaeologist who has been working here more than a decade, is convinced it's the site of the world's oldest temple...

...Schmidt points to the great stone rings, one of them 65 feet across. "This is the first human-built holy place," he says...

...And partly because Schmidt has found no evidence that people permanently resided on the summit of Gobekli Tepe itself, he believes this was a place of worship on an unprecedented scale--humanity's first "cathedral on a hill."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/0 ... 42417.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:42 pm 
Hercules

not surprised to see the cross inside the circle....

Or a 'wheels within wheels' architecture as described by Ezekiel
Looks very similar to how the Maya conceptualized the mechanical passage of time.

Maya Tzolkin Calender Wheel/Cog

Interesting site.
http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=3487

So I feel I have a few questions.
Why are many ancient temples circular?
Why are many ancient temples angular/square/rectangular?

Which shape is considered more 'perfect', the sphere or the cube?
Why do so many ancient/indigenous cultures employ round or circular temples/homes.

I love what the Inuit Iglu represents.
A perfect balance with nature, it shows the progression of an architecture, from angular blocks to a semi circle/gothic arch or just the shape represented by the letter D.
Could be the bow portion of the bow and arrow.
So the foundation of the Iglu is cubes, built on a spiral ramp, forming a dome.
A perfect blend.
Out of nothing ... something ... and then nothing again.

Our graven architecture is not in balance...Las Vegas and Dubai are two good examples.
The magic requires too much maintenance, too much hocus pocus, no focus.

namaste

Raphael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:33 pm 
Apollo

Looks like they discovered the 'stargate' :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:22 pm 
Hercules

vega wrote:
Looks like they discovered the 'stargate' :)

Would a Stargate be connected to the Atlantis Cross?

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/starg ... gate08.htm
ImageImage

Post subject: Göbekli Tepe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:16 am 
Thor

I ran a search for a thread on this but couldn't find one, here is a new article about this site.

Quote:
The site isn't just old, it redefines old: the temple was built 11,500 years ago—a staggering 7,000 years before the Great Pyramid, and more than 6,000 years before Stonehenge first took shape.

Quote:
Göbekli Tepe—the name in Turkish for "potbelly hill"—lays art and religion squarely at the start of that journey. After a dozen years of patient work, Schmidt has uncovered what he thinks is definitive proof that a huge ceremonial site flourished here, a "Rome of the Ice Age," as he puts it, where hunter-gatherers met to build a complex religious community.

Looks like there is lots more yet to be discovered here, fascinating!

Quote:
Though not as large as Stonehenge—the biggest circle is 30 yards across, the tallest pillars 17 feet high—the ruins are astonishing in number. Last year Schmidt found his third and fourth examples of the temples. Ground-penetrating radar indicates that another 15 to 20 such monumental ruins lie under the surface. Schmidt's German-Turkish team has also uncovered some 50 of the huge pillars, including two found in his most recent dig season that are not just the biggest yet, but, according to carbon dating, are the oldest monumental artworks in the world.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/233844/page/1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
http://www.archaeology.org/0811/abstracts/turkey.html

There are more great pics at Wiki and the net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Re the video - once you get past the title, it gets pretty good.

That part zooming in from the satellite until right above the site was AWESOME! It totally brought back my childhood passion for digging in the ground to find buried treasure! (Hence, my archaeological inclinations.) I just wish they had continued so I could see more of the site.

Would that I could be a fly on the wall.

Thanks for putting this together - and nice bit from Descartes. It does look like there are 12 stones there. If so, we have some very early evidence of the mythical motif of the 12.

(See, e.g., Were the 12 Tribes of Israel Based on the Zodiac?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:58 pm 

Has anyone noticed this? Look at the photo in Beshroomed's post, and see the incised line separating the vertical part of the "T"-shaped stone from the horizontal part. Does it not look like it is meant to represent a post-and-lintel construction style?? The implication is that post-and-lintel construction has long predated this temple, and the incised line is a sort of vestige. It is only a hint, but civilization may be even older than this...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I did notice that - hard not to. I hate it when they make claims like "the oldest ever" anyway. It's just not necessary. Gobekli Tepe is a fantastic find whether it's the oldest or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

That's an interesting point - and a great observation - that if the stone is an imitation of this building style it would have to postdate it.

Naturally, we know there are older artifacts, but apparently no one has found an older temple than this one yet.

The post-and-lintel construction being even more ancient than this find opens up wonderful possibilities, although I already have little doubt that such "forbidden archeology" abounds beyond this discovery.

Here's a satellite image (hat tip to Alfred on FB).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:18 pm 

There is a good case made for the Zodiac theory at:

http://timothystephany.com/gobekli.html

as well as an Vedic look at:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/100 ... 2393v1.pdf

I've been fascinated since it was first revealed , partly because it blows up previous archaeological assumptions; such as that agriculture was needed before you could build big stuff.

I do wish the site was being excavated by an American so that the info would be in English. My German is very rusty.

I think the columns look very much like the stylized cycladic female figures from Greece, but then I see female figures in lots of places.

Comments?

Arne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Nice, thanks Arne.

Those links look interesting. I'll give 'em a going over when I can.

Welcome to the party!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:43 am 

Turkey is diverse country with its own unique and quality features. It is progressively growing in tourism. People from all over world come & enjoy their weekends and vacations to this grand country with family and friends. Being diverse country it has many aspects distinguished from other countries which make it perfect tourist destination.

Ephesus