Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: "The Great Year"
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:32 am 

This diagram models the mythology of the great year against the physics of the climate.
A key theme here is that culture remains on a trajectory with considerable momentum (karma) which has potential to outweigh the requirement to shift to a different direction.
Attachment:
50000 years insolation 65N Trajectory.gif
50000 years insolation 65N Trajectory.gif [ 194.11 KiB | Viewed 1964 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 am 

Looking at the above diagram is interesting with respect to Locutus's question about light effecting seasonal depression. It's outstanding to view the chart against the Vedic Yuga because the ancients were right on point with knowing the peaks and troughs of the natural light cycle. The Iron age was a very depressed time period historically...

The celestial Origins of Religious Belief
ZG Part 1
Jesus: Hebrew Human or Mythical Messiah?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:06 pm 
Thor

Edit- I'll have to modify my post below yours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:41 pm 

We can consider the possible relation between this natural cycle of light and the cultural cycles of rise and fall of spirituality at both intuitive and intentional levels.

Intuitively, it is exactly as Locutus implies as similar to seasonal affective disorder. Each year after the last glacial maximum the northern summer was just a bit longer and warmer. This is a repeat of a 21,000 year permanent orbital cycle that combines precession of the equinox and advance of the perihelion. Over four billion years of life this natural cycle of light and dark has happened about 200,000 times and so is hardwired into global DNA. It is probable that some microbes prosper in the lighter phases and go more dormant in the darker phases, and vice versa. Microbes are the foundation of our DNA, so it makes sense that these permanent cyclic factors of the earth are hardwired into humans too.

One big complexity here is that as I showed earlier, the light cycle is completely opposite in the southern hemisphere. Because of the alignment of the continents, which are mostly in the north, the northern hemisphere cycles drive the global pattern of glaciation, apparently by driving the level of global CO2. Humans evolved in Africa close to the equator, with the move out of Africa to the north beginning about 80,000 years ago. Modern humans have only experienced three or four great years in the Eurasian climate where this cycle is most pronounced. But that is still a long time.

What it means is that as the light naturally increased towards the holocene deglaciation, people in the northern hemisphere naturally became more optimistic, trusting and loving. Each year was better, and people intuitively found that cultural norms in line with an improving climate worked well.

When the light cycle turned ten thousand years ago, people initially kept the previous trusting approach, which maintained its karmic momentum for several thousand years after light had started to decline. However, as the reverse process really kicked in, as each summer was very slightly shorter and colder, a different mentality became adaptive. People who were pessimistic, suspicious and hateful emerged who were able to dominate people with the previous expansive values. We slowly saw the rise of money, property and war, and the construction of false religious ideologies to justify the possessive greed of dominion.

These processes are so slow and invisible that the impacts on culture are almost totally unconscious. It just naturally happens that when the climate changes, a different sort of mentality prospers. It is like if you change the tax system, the incentives will naturally favor different behaviours, regardless of whether people understand the causation.

However, there is also the possibility of conscious intentional deliberate response to these cycles. We cannot know if ancient astronomers had calculated the elliptical orbit of the earth. If so, then this knowledge may have been available to them explicitly in India and Egypt and Babylon. However, even without explicit knowledge of the orbital drivers, observation of a shift from a time of ascending light to a time of descending light is highly possible, and appears to be probable as the source of how the Great Year is encoded into the Bible.

Mythology places the fall from divine grace at the time that the declining trend hit full pace. If the cultural overhang from the previous ascending path lasted for thousands of years, we can see the fall as the moment when the new pessimistic outlook achieved dominance over the ancient optimism.

Then, Christ is located near where the light cycle starts to bottom out. We can interpret the message of Christ as saying that the pessimistic values of the descending light phase have to be replaced by optimistic values. However, the world found that the pessimistic values worked well, and that the message of Christ could be disregarded. We can consider the passion story of cross and resurrection against this cosmic framework, against the idea that the optimistic values of the ascending phase of the planetary light cycle cannot be destroyed by the pessimistic values of materialist power. The eschatology of Christian faith says that after passing through the low point, civilization will again ascend towards a global trust and optimism.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:28 pm 
Thor

Quote:
Intuitively, it is exactly as Locutus implies as similar to seasonal affective disorder. Each year after the last glacial maximum the northern summer was just a bit longer and warmer. This is a repeat of a 21,000 year permanent orbital cycle that combines precession of the equinox and advance of the perihelion. Over four billion years of life this natural cycle of light and dark has happened about 200,000 times and so is hardwired into global DNA. It is probable that some microbes prosper in the lighter phases and go more dormant in the darker phases, and vice versa. Microbes are the foundation of our DNA, so it makes sense that these permanent cyclic factors of the earth are hardwired into humans too.

Quote:
What it means is that as the light naturally increased towards the holocene deglaciation, people in the northern hemisphere naturally became more optimistic, trusting and loving. Each year was better, and people intuitively found that cultural norms in line with an improving climate worked well.

Nice to know I'm in the ballpark. Earlier I had only read page 3 of this and now I went back and reread all 4 pages of material here and feel up to speed on this topic. I myself can attest to this seasonal affective disorder because I used to live in Seattle Washington and it rains and is cloudy a lot of the time there and it really does affect your mood. The bad days dominate the number of good days so much so that I moved to a much sunnier climate year round and I do feel happier for making that choice and living in mostly sunshine now. Just how many more days of light do we get per half a great year going into the golden age?

Quote:
These processes are so slow and invisible that the impacts on culture are almost totally unconscious. It just naturally happens that when the climate changes, a different sort of mentality prospers.

I know every year I look forward to summer and dread when it goes. Hard to be mad and angry and hurtful when someone is at the beach or playing in the park on a nice sunny day.

Quote:
Then, Christ is located near where the light cycle starts to bottom out. We can interpret the message of Christ as saying that the pessimistic values of the descending light phase have to be replaced by optimistic values. However, the world found that the pessimistic values worked well, and that the message of Christ could be disregarded. We can consider the passion story of cross and resurrection against this cosmic framework, against the idea that the optimistic values of the ascending phase of the planetary light cycle cannot be destroyed by the pessimistic values of materialist power. The eschatology of Christian faith says that after passing through the low point, civilization will again ascend towards a global trust and optimism.

Seems like the most elegant explanation when you take it all into consideration.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:36 pm 

I encourage readers to view the highly informative and simply presented graphic history of humanity over Great Year time scales prepared by Stephen Oppenheimer at http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Oppenheimer's work on genetic history and migration over the last 80,000 years provides a compelling empirical explanation of how the Great Year of precession of the equinox has driven human evolution. Precession of the equinox, with a cycle of about 25,700 years, interacts with the forward rotation of the orbital ellipse to produce ice age cycles with period about 21,000 years. This is the key finding of the Milankovitch Theory. From the maps at the link above, you can see the advance and retreat of ice and of continental shelfs over this Great Year induced cycle. We are now reaching a relative minimum, but as explained earlier, this is not an ice age because the interaction of the precession with obliquity and eccentricity means it is only a shallow trough, prior to an ascent over the next ten thousand years.

Some further excellent scientific references are at
http://courses.eas.ualberta.ca/eas570/t ... iation.pdf
http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/1988/R ... 0624.shtml
http://rocks.geosci.unc.edu/files/facul ... wpaper.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:32 am 

Robert, could you post images of Orion from the northern hemisphere when it's fully risen on the horizon between now and the last Zep Tepi? At a rate of every 1,000 years per image. We can add some Christmas spirit to this GY discussion...

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:37 pm 

Tat Tvam Asi wrote:
Robert, could you post images of Orion from the northern hemisphere when it's fully risen on the horizon between now and the last Zep Tepi? At a rate of every 1,000 years per image. We can add some Christmas spirit to this GY discussion...

Hi Tat, I have emailed you pictures of Orion sliding down the southern meridian at 8pm from northerly latitudes at the winter solstice over the course of the great year. I will edit before putting them here.

In the spirit of Christmas cheer, please see this diagram of Orion, Sirius and Argo as the Three Magi, the Star and the Manger.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm 

Here we have Orion and Sirius over the great year, in condensed format. Email me if you want to see more detail.

Each picture is a snapshot of the southern sky at 8pm at the 21 December winter solstice from thirty degrees north latitude. Each shot is separated by 1000 years, starting at the time of Christ in the top left, then 1000 BC, 2000 BC etc until 19,000 BC at bottom right. Orion is seen moving down then up, with the star Rigel to the right of Sirius at the left. Orion's Belt is a faint line of three stars above Rigel and below Betelgeuse. At 0 AD/BC, Orion is close to the celestial equator, the white curve across the top of each picture. Each thousand years earlier, Orion is further from the equator, and closer to the southern horizon, the green curve at bottom of the picture. The central vertical line is the south meridian, joining the southern horizon with the zenith.

Detectable even at this resolution is how Orion and Sirius drift away from the equator and then back towards it over the course of the great year.
Attachment:
Orion Great Year Condensed.png
Orion Great Year Condensed.png [ 186.92 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

Post subject: Orion South
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 pm 

Attachment:
Orion South 0.png
Orion South 0.png [ 184.15 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

Attachment:
Orion South 1000BC.png
Orion South 1000BC.png [ 193.1 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

Attachment:
Orion South 2000BC.png
Orion South 2000BC.png [ 197.16 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:44 pm 

Attachment:
Orion South 7000BC.png
Orion South 7000BC.png [ 189.78 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

Attachment:
Orion South 8000BC.png
Orion South 8000BC.png [ 190.73 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

Attachment:
Orion South 9000BC.png
Orion South 9000BC.png [ 189.63 KiB | Viewed 1929 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:11 am 

And so in forward motion one can see what the three belt stars (Magi / Kings / Wisemen) are doing between now and the beginning of the next age. They make for a good point of reference for ancient star gazers to have clued in on and use to illustrate their knowledge of the earth's axial wobble.

Christmas is an especially good time of the year to take note of this. And the nativity in the stars that you've linked to is very revealing as well. I can see how the nativity scene with the Magi marks not only an annual meaning, but also alludes to the GY as well. The three stars are bearing gifts to the coming of the age of Pisces because it sets the stage for the age to come when Orion will finally reach it's maximum on the meridian, which receives more attention later on in the story line in Luke 22:10 and so on. It really seems that the three Magi play a dual role mythos in terms of an annual and precession reference mixed in together. And of course it would appear to stem from the old anticipation of the age of the Aquarius to come which is the "last time" opposite Zep Tepi and which marks out a visible change in direction in the movement of the stars above.

It's a clever allegory really when you look at it from all these angles. Even to the point where the Magi are wise astronomer types who seek out the baby God-Man who will become the 'Piscean personification' after the sun crosses over into the next age and GY cycle all at once. It starts off during the last year of the age of Aries with these Magi paying their respects to the new born sun as it gets ready to finish out the last GY cycle. Then the sun god goes on to be born again or resurrected into the new GY cycle - the new cycle starting in the age of Pisces being an important point of change during the precession journey of the three belt stars of Orion. I don't think that this aspect of the nativity has been brought up yet. But it's been getting clearer and clearer to me as I've been watching the Orion and Sirius alignment in the evenings this year.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:33 pm 
Bast

I do not know if this is mentioned and/or known, so be gentle if this I rant on with is reason to face palm :lol:

About texts of leading clues to the "great year" and that concerning subject, there is something that could add or verify information when looking at the Babylon/Sumerian point of view. As I have mentioned there are many things suggesting that ancient Sumerian culture is origin to Ancient Norse culture. The perhaps more known 10 Babylonian kings who rule for 432 000 years before being brought down before the "deluge" has a counterpart in the Poetic Edda.

Odin in disguise as Grímnir talks about the cosmology regarding

Grímnismál

Fimm hundruð dura
ok umb fjórum tögum,
svá hygg ek á Valhöllu vera;
átta hundruð Einherja
ganga senn ór einum durum,
þá er þeir fara við vitni at vega.

23. Five hundred doors | and forty there are,
I ween, in Valhall's walls;
Eight hundred fighters | through one door fare
When to war with the wolf they go.

800 warriors in each of the 540 doors = 432 000

Like my avatar, the Valknut symbol of Odin, the equilateral triangle is in Germanic and Norse symbol sometimes named; The dragons eye. ( Dragon - draco - great/sea serpent ). Something that brings up the ancient Babylonian sexagesimal (base 60). 432 000 * 0,60 = 25920

I am not especially into these kind of things, but if this could be of some interest for someone, no harm is done.

G`night :)

Never place blame on man, because it happens to all. No matter how wise, a fool he becomes, when love steals his powers.

Hávamál

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:16 am 

Yes, Joseph Campbell found the same and went around giving lectures and showing comparative religion students how the older mathematics of precession are inter-related through different mythologies, including the Iclandic Eddas:
Quote:
The Inner Reaches of Outer Space: Metaphor as Myth and as Religion

P. 9-12

"For example, in the Hindu sacred epics...the number of years reckoned to the present cycle of time, the so-called Kali Yuga, is 432,000; the number reckoned to the "great cycle", within this Yuga falls is 4,320,000. But then reading one day in the Icelandic Eddas, I discovered that in Othin's warrior hall, there were 540 doors, through each of which, on the "Day of The Wolf" (that is to say at the end of the present cycle of time), there would pass 800 divine warriors to engage the antigods in a mutual battle of annihilation. 800 x 540 = 432,000.

...In Babylon, I then recalled, there had been a Chaldean priest, Berossos, who c. 280 BCE., had rendered into Greek an account of the history and mythology of Babylonia, wherein it was told that between the rise of the first city, Kish, and the coming of the Babylonian mythological flood (from which that of the bible is taken), there elapsed 432,000 years, during which antediluvian era, ten kings reigned. Very long lives! Longer even than Methuselah's (Genesis 5:27), which had been of 969.

So I turned to the Old Testament (Genesis 5) and counting the number of antediluvian patriarchs, Adam to Noah, discovered, of course, that they were ten. How many years? Adam was 130 years old when he begat Seth, who was 105 when he begat Enosh, and so on, to Noah, who was 600 years old when the flood came: to a grand total, from the first day of Adams creation to the first drop of rain of Noah's flood, of 1,656 years. Any relation to 432,000? ...it was shown that in 1,656 years there are 86,400 seven-day weeks. 86,400 divided by 2 equals 43,200.

And so it appears that in the book of Genesis there are two contrary theologies represented in relation to the deluge. One is the old tribal, popular tale of a willful, personal creator god, who saw that "the wickedness of man was great in the earth..." (Genesis 5:6-7). The other idea, which is in fundamental contrast, is that of the disguised number, 86,400, which is a deeply hidden reference to the Gentile, Sumero-Babylonian, mathmatical cosmology of ever-revolving cycles of impersonal time, with whole universes and their populations coming into being, flowering for a season of 43,200 (432,000 or 4,320,000) years, dissolving back into the cosmic mother-sea to rest for an equal amount of years before returning, and so again, and again, and again.

It is to be noticed, by the way, that 1+6+5+6=18, which is twice 9, while 4+3+2=9: 9 being associated with the goddess mother of the world and it's gods. In India the number of recited names in a litany of this goddess is 108. 1+0+8= 9, while 108 X 4 = 432. ...It is strange that in our history books the discovery of the precession of the equinoxes should be attributed to Hipparchus, second century BC., when the magic number 432 (which when multiplied by 60 produces 25,920) was already employed in the reckoning of major cycles of time before that century.

And so this precession knowledge certainly passed along from OT times to NT times and clarifies much in terms of why there's so many obvious references to the changing of the ages of Taurus, to Aries, to Pisces, and finally Aquarius - when the three belt stars of Orion reach a maximum on the meridian and then reverse direction in the sky back towards the Golden age or Satya Yuga region of the night sky. The three gift bearing Magi motif certainly marks the winter solstice and the observation that the sun will start moving north again and days will become longer until organic life finally comes back again after the vernal equinox. But because of the fact that they knew about precession and arranged the Bible to point to the coming age of Aquarius - the same way the Egyptians arranged the Giza Necropolis - it would seem that the three Magi play into the observation of the significance of the coming of the age Pisces and how it hails the way for the age of Aquarius to come. They are praising the Piscean personification in such a way that it could have a dual meaning in terms of the annual year and precession's effect on the meridian altitude of the three belt stars of Orion.

Quote:
The Message of the Sphinx

In Heliopolitan theology, all these processes (destiny of world ages) were grouped together, summarized and expressed in a single image – the Bennu bird, the legendary Phoenix which at certain widely separated intervals fashioned a nest of aromatic boughs and spices, set it on fire and was consumed in the flames. From the pyre miraculously sprang a new Phoenix, which, after embalming its fathers ashes in an egg of myrrh, flew with the ashes to Heliopolis, where it deposited them in the alter of the sun-god Re. …The Egyptians associated the Phoenix with immortality.

Sources vary as to the period of the Bennu’s return, but in his authoritative study on the subject R.T. Rundle Clark mentions the figure of 12,954 years. Let us note that this figure accords very closely with a half-cycle of precession (where the full cycle, as we have seen, is 25,920 years). As such, the return of the Phoenix could be expressed in astronomical terms either as a slow sweep of the vernal point through the six houses of the zodiac – for example from the beginning of Leo to the beginning of Aquarius – or, at the meridian, as the number of years required for a star to move between its minimum and maximum altitudes about the horizon.

When considering such co-ordinates in the sky, we are immediately reminded of the Giza necropolis – of how the gaze of the Great Sphinx targets the vernal point on the eastern horizon, and of how the star shafts of the Great Pyramid lock into the meridian with machine-age accuracy. Moreover it can hardly be an accident that in the capstone or pyramidion placed on top of all pyramids was known in the ancient Egyptian language as the Benben and was considered to be a symbol of the Bennu bird (and thus also of rebirth and immortality).

…So the texts seem to invite us to attach leonine characteristics to the men of olden times, to the Ancestors, and to the Sages. …In this way they will lead us back to the trail of the followers of Horus (those following the movements of the sun) and to the notion that for thousands of years – spanning both the prehistoric and the historic periods – the members of a hidden academy may have been behind the scenes in Egypt, observing the stars with scientific rigor and manipulating men and events according to the celestial timetable…

The powerfully astronomical character of the Giza necropolis, although ignored by Egyptologists, has been recognized by open-minded and intuitive researchers throughout history. The Hermetic Neo-Platonists of Alexandria, for example, appear to have been acutely sensitive to the possibility of a ‘message’ and were quick to discern the strong astral qualities of the textual material and the monuments.

Vague memories of an astronomical ‘message’ at Giza appear to have filtered down to the middle Ages. In the seventeenth century, the British mathematician Sir Isaac Newton became deeply interested in the Great Pyramid… Later, in 1865 the Royal of Scotland, Charles Piazzi Smyth, launched an investigation into the Great Pyramid which he was convinced was an instrument of prophecy that incorporated a Messianic ‘message’.

In our own epoch – the epoch of 2,000 AD – the other extreme of the curious ‘balancing mechanism’ of Giza is about to be reached: Al Nitak today stands within a few arch seconds of the highest altitude that it will attain during its precessional cycle and the vernal point is about to drift into the constellation of Aquarius. Between the "First Time" and the “Last Time”, in other words, the skies have reversed themselves – literally flipped left to right – with Aquarius now marking the vernal equinox and Leo marking the autumnal equinox.

ZG Part 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:43 pm 
Bast

Great. I have a bunch of audio lectures by Joseph Campbell coming up next when I finish some evolutionary psychology lectures stuffed on my mp3. I hope one of them contains more about the subject, not forgetting I enjoy his presentations in general.

Never place blame on man, because it happens to all. No matter how wise, a fool he becomes, when love steals his powers.

Hávamál

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next