Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post subject: Bronze Age Gold Hats
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:16 pm 
Hercules

I first heard of these some years ago via some program on the History, Discovery or National Geographic channel. I do not see any posts regarding these and find that they are relatively unheard of. In fact, I have posted about them on a couple of other forums over the years and find that I am always the first one to bring them to attention.

Four gold leaf conical hats have been found so far. Reports exist of similar artefacts that are now lost.

They are believed to date to Bronze Age Central Europe, 1200 to 800 BC.

For many years, it was not even known what they were, nor what the symbols on them depicted. It is now believed that they belonged to a centralized sun worshipping cult and that symbols show the lunisolar or metonic cycles.

Quote:
The following Golden Hats are known at present:
Golden Hat of Schifferstadt, found in 1835 at Schifferstadt near Speyer, circa 1400–1300 BC.
Avanton Gold Cone, incomplete, found at Avanton near Poitiers in 1844, circa 1000–900 BC.
Golden Cone of Ezelsdorf-Buch, found near Ezelsdorf near Nuremberg in 1953, circa 1000–900 BC; the tallest known specimen at c. 90 cm.
Berlin Gold Hat, found probably in Swabia or Switzerland, circa 1000–800 BC; acquired by the Museum für Vor- und Frühgeschichte, Berlin, in 1996.

Quote:
It is assumed that the Golden Hats served as religious insignia for the deities or priests of a sun cult then widespread in Central Europe. Their use as head-gear is strongly supported by the fact that the three of four examples have a cap-like widening at the bottom of the cone, and that their openings are oval (not round), with diameters and shapes roughly equivalent to those of a human skull. The figural depiction of an object resembling a conical hat on a stone slab of the King's Grave at Kivik, Southern Sweden, strongly supports their association with religion and cult, as does the fact that the known examples appear to have been deposited (buried) carefully.

Quote:
A detailed study of the Berlin example, which is fully preserved, revealed that the symbols probably represent a lunisolar calendar. The object would have permitted the determination of dates or periods in both lunar and solar calendars.

Since an exact knowledge of the solar year was of special interest for the determination of religiously important events such as the summer and winter solstices, the astronomical knowledge depicted on the Golden Hats was of high value to Bronze Age society. Whether the hats themselves were indeed used for determining such dates, or whether they simply represented such knowledge, remains unknown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hat ... comparison

These hats show that the modern association of the wizard who wears a tall conical hat embellished with celestial symbols dates back thousands of years.

Magic is Religion is Science.

Attachments:
800px-Berliner_Goldhut-Kalenderfunktion1.jpg
800px-Berliner_Goldhut-Kalenderfunktion1.jpg [ 151.56 KiB | Viewed 1388 times ]
Goldkegel-1.jpg
Goldkegel-1.jpg [ 14.52 KiB | Viewed 1388 times ]

I am the Eagle upon the rock;
I am a Tear of the Sun;

Post subject: Re: Bronze Age Gold Hats
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:56 pm 
Thor

Reminds me of Scythian head-gear fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:27 pm 
Hercules

Here's another website that shows women from modern-day Yemen wearing straw hats of a very similar style. Archaeological evidence points to Yemen as being part of the Queendom of Sheba, which was known for supplying gold to King Solomon.

It is believed that the hats would have covered a base of organic material such as leather or straw.

http://gazingthroughaglassdarkly.blogspot.com/2011/06/history-of-magical-hats-part-1.html

I am a Tear of the Sun;

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:04 am 
Thor

The blogger promised:
Quote:
Next time the Gold Crowns of Scythian Warriors and the hat as a weapon.

Pity she hasn't got around to posting that one!
Some broken image links there, too.
I sent her an email.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:33 am 
Bast

If you look closely you will see them on display in this montage of items on this promo video from the archeological museum of Stavanger - Norway. The exhibition was a part of the comparative sun myth theme, and the connection to Rogaland/Rygjafylket - The land of the Rygi people/tribe. The counties in Norway are separated by old tribal connections as Hordaland - Land of the Horda people.... and so on :)

Never place blame on man, because it happens to all. No matter how wise, a fool he becomes, when love steals his powers.

Hávamál

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 am 
Hercules

Thank you for posting this, Vallhall! Its very interesting and the artifacts are so beautiful. Even today they are impressive and I can only imagine how they must have appeared to the ancients who crafted them.

I am a Tear of the Sun;

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 pm 

Theosophical writings state that the subtle bodies or auras of 'advanced' or 'evolved' people show a conical shape above the head, in a variety of colorful shades depending on temperament. They further say that this effect, which is only seen by people of similar advancement, is why the hats shown in images of wise men, wizards and witches are cone-shaped.

Perhaps these hats, which seem to have a particularly religious look about them, and were presumably worn by priestly types, allude to the same idea?

++++++