Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post subject: Younger Next Year
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 am 

Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond Paperback

by Chris Crowley(Author),Henry S. Lodge(Author)

444 customer reviews

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076114 ... v_prod_img

This is a great book. I turned fifty in March 2013, and decided I should plan to maximise the enjoyment of the rest of my life. Younger Next Year gave me a clear simple direction. I will give it to several of my friends and family for Christmas.

I have been following Chris Crowley's advice for the last six months since I read this book. I have lost seven kilograms, got stronger all round, started to enjoy pushing towards personal bests in one hour outdoor bike rides most days, and joined a gym. Going to a personal trainer showed me that the twentieth rep of the third set can be fun, in a masochistic sort of way through gritted teeth, if you focus on the strength and energy and fitness it gives you.

I had not heard of delayed onset muscle soreness before. Now I like it. A simple cliche - no pain no gain.

My question is how well an hour of exercise pays for itself. If I can look forward to two hours of good health before I turn ninety as the result for every hour of hard exercise, then I am actually gaining quality time in my life by pushing myself on the pushbike or at the gym with weights. And if my improved health and energy now means I am less likely to break a bone by falling, or get a heart attack, stroke, dementia or cancer, and keep my clarity of thought till I am a hundred, then vigorous daily exercise really is the best health insurance.

Money can't buy it. Second cliche - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Third cliche - Use it or lose it. This is serious. A sixty year old friend told me last week about giving a beer bottle to a twenty year old to open. You don't need that if you work out. If I keep strong legs, a small slip will not mean a fall and broken hip and disability and wheelchair and decline to death when I am seventy or eighty.

I am sure the scientists and actuaries have quantified the time benefits of exercise and good diet in terms of life expectancy or what they called 'disability adjusted life years'. For some reason a few years ago I stupidly took up smoking again, which I had stopped when I was twenty. But every cigarette you smoke probably cuts your enjoyable life expectancy by half an hour. You have to be pretty stupid to give up half an hour of future life for each five minutes of present smoking. That is a discount rate for idiots.

Reading this book helped me to stop smoking. I have no doubt that I will not start again. Thanks Chris and Henry, you have added years to my life.

Oh, and who knows? Maybe in the next twenty years science will produce miracle products to greatly extend life expectancy. But they will only be any good for those of us who have followed Chris and Henry's simple instructions about cardio and muscle fitness, and learned to enjoy 45 minutes of hard exercise pretty well every day.