Freethought Nation

presented by Acharya S and TruthBeKnown.com, online since 1995

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

hello

Post subject: California Condor Cam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I read an article in the paper about this new Condor Cam so, for whatever it's worth I thought I'd share it: California Condor Cam

Quote:
New 'Condor Cam' Captures Rare Giant Bird in Wild BIG SUR, Calif. October 22, 2013 (AP)

"A solar-powered "condor cam" in the hills of Big Sur, on the Central California coast, allows the public to view North America's largest birds from the comfort of home. The San Jose Mercury News reports the live-streaming camera went online Monday."

It already has captured video of the birds feeding and preening in the wild. There are only about 430 of the massive, vulture-like birds alive in the world today.

Kelly Sorenson, executive director of Ventana Wildlife Society, says the camera is aimed at a main feeding area, and allows scientists to zoom in on each bird so they can identify them.

Like the panda-cam at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C., the condor cam uses inexpensive video technology to help the public interact with wildlife.

The camera can be found at http://www.ventanaws.org

Condors are the "largest flying land birds in the Western Hemisphere." "California Condors' wingspan measures up to 2.9 m (9.5 ft), and they can weigh up to 10.4 kg (23 lb)."

Stellar House Publishing at Youtube